Labels

Thursday 19 January 2017

Why are more and more people treating actors badly ?


There is something I have observed in my 47 years in this industry and that is, it often makes no sense whatsoever. 

With my own career the more I have worked hard to make something happen the less I seem to get anywhere and those projects I do not work as intensely on, and am not as passionate about, or as committed to, tend to be the ones that get made. 

But its not just me.

In the past when employing actors the team (producer/ director and sometimes writer) are far less enamoured by those who try really hard to impress us than those who can't be arsed and are not really bothered. 

Its like being back at school when you were only really interested in the person who was not interested in you.

Because I was an actor I am very sensitive to this, which is why I hate auditioning actors as I want to give them all the job. 

Maybe this is why I have moved on to documentaries?

I have sat there with the director, other producers and casting directors and many of them have laughed or been rude about an actor who has tried too hard wanting to please.

They don't know that for that actor that potential job means everything. That job could change their life or it just puts food on the table. These actors are just wanting to work and what is more natural than that. This is not a reason to be cruel. 

We should be pleased that actors are so enthusiastic to work with us that they try so hard. They only want to impress you, to show you their talent. They just want a chance. Someone took a chance with all of us who conduct these interview/ audition so its only right that we are give everyone who comes before us an equal chance. 

Maybe they do try too hard but its hardly a crime. Yes it is desperation, which only those of us who have been there can really understand, but I do get increasingly angry by those arrogant insensitive people who have so little compassion for others less successful than themselves, success that has often come about because of pure luck, something the very successful in the entertainment industry never acknowledge. 

Some of the best actors I know you have never heard of because they never got that lucky break. And then you have those very lucky limited actors like Ewen McGregor.....I rest my case. 

There are so many emerging writers and directors who can say the same. Some broadcasters have also changed since when I started. There was a time when they would meet with all film & TV producers who had ideas and projects. Now it seems that they only have time for their mates and no one else. 


I am sad to say that this uncaring dismissive attitude to those less successful is becoming far too common these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. All comments are moderated. We hope to post your comment shortly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.