Labels

Friday 24 March 2017

A great screenwriting exercise.

As far as writing goes I am no expert. I have written several "screenplays" but these are for documentaries. I also co-wrote a book with Oscar winning screenwriter Ronald Harwood.

However, I could never attempt to write a drama. I am nowhere near skilled enough. It's hard. Really hard.

There is an exercise I always suggested on panels and talks I give about filmmaking and one I find stimulating. It's actually reasonably simple but educational without too much work involved. Just a lot of reading and watching. 

I read the book THE GIRL WITH DRAGON TATTOO only once but I have seen both the Swedish and America film adaptation of the book, three times. Usually one after another.


I find it an extremely useful insight into the workings of the screenwriting process. They both have the same source material so the same beginning, middle but different variations on the end.

They both follow the journey of this best-selling book but in the slim lining for the screen they have taken slightly different roads.

It's useful to make notes as to the differences. 


Both films are currently free on Netflix, Amazon Prime in the UK so writers, and for that matter producers, directors and actors you should all have a watch, preferably back to back.


Tell me what you think. Myself I just can't work out which is the better film. I doubt I ever will. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting. All comments are moderated. We hope to post your comment shortly.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.